Monday, February 14, 2005

 

Dazzled by Redwoods

I've been reading about Redwood trees. I always knew there were huge trees in California. I knew they were old, but I didn't know that some are thousands of years old.

Mostly I was unaware that the forest canopies (the tops of the trees) contain gardens of ferns, layers of earth called canopy soil (sometimes as deep as six feet), an unidentified species of earthworms, an aquatic crustacean living in the ferns, and brown and gold wandering salamanders. The soil in the canopy supports huckleberry bushes, currrent bushes, elderberry bushes and small trees of several varies.

I was dazzled to learn that there was a whole ecosystem living on the tops of the redwood trees.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?