Thursday, February 10, 2005

 

Senatorial Bean Soup

I was in the grocery store the other day when the man behind me in the checkout line asked about the "big onion things" in my cart.

The oversized onions were leeks. They are not an onion, but in the onion family. I explained how that every year about this time, I made Senatorial Bean Soup with leeks.

Today I am making soup with the leeks. The soup also has carrots, celery, ham, spices, and of course beans.

The recipe is from the U.S. Senate cafeteria where for decades the soup has been a popular favorite.

My son was an intern one summer for Virginia Senator Allen, and in the Senate Office Building on several occasions, he enjoyed the soup at lunchtime.





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?