Thursday, February 03, 2005

 

Thursdays with Johann

This morning I attended a class on the cantatas of Johann Sebastian Bach. We started with number one and by the year 2013 the teacher will teach all 200 cantatas. I am one of 90 students attending the class offered by the Christopher Wren Society.

Today we had live music with a performance by two William and Mary students, one on the violin; the other on the cello.

The Bach cantatas are sacred music dating from the late 1600s and eary 1700s. Cantata number four which we heard today was written before 1708 when Bach would have only been about 23 years old.

The class is being held in the Wren Chapel at the College of William and Mary. The Chapel dates from the same time period. What a great place to have the Bach class. And what a great way to spend Thursday mornings for the next four weeks.

I came out of class today and found freezing rain. Fortunately, for a change, I had my umbrella.

Now I really must get back to proofing the galleys for the new book.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?