Sunday, March 06, 2005

 

The Writing Life

Perhaps you have wondered what it might be like to be a writer. I'll tell you about my last couple of days and you can see if the writing life might be for you.

On Friday I got yet another proof of my newest children's book off to the publisher. I can't tell you how many times I've read Divided Loyalties. I can say that the discipline it takes to get a book published is much greater than the discipline it took to train and jog thirteen miles.

Saturday Phyllis' bus picked up two seniors at a local senior development and a William and Mary student and took them to a poetry reading. Two members of my poetry workshop were reading. It was an excellent session and it was a good turnout in spite of the wintry mix that persisted all day.

Back home I assembled ham biscuits for a potluck dinner that evening. The dinner was for members of a book discussion group I belong to at our local library. David Price the author of a new book on Jamestown, John Smith, and Pocahontas was our guest. So it back to the library at five for a dinner and a discussion of Price's book. One participant remarked that being in a closed library was like being in a closed toy store. What a delight to spend time with people who love books. The food was good, too!

If doing these kind of things sound boring to you, perhaps you shouldn't be a writer. But if this sounds like a way your time, consider a career with books.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?