Tuesday, July 05, 2005

 

Writing and Publishing a Book

I am often asked how long it takes me to write a book. It is probably the question I am asked most frequently. My first book, Lottie's Courage, took about ten years. But during that time, I was a mom, teaching, and taking care of old people. So I worked at it in fits and starts and for long periods not at all. My second book, Anybody's Hero, took about a year to write. My third kids' book, Divided Loyalties, took about a year and a half to write.

I once thought once the book was written and accepted for publication that was the end. However, I have since learned that the work is far from over. The publisher asks that the author finds endorsers for the book, prepares catalogue and cover copy, and completes final revisions (in my case I also have to find and get permission for the use of the pictures inside the book). The publisher also asks for marketing information. This is a detailed listing of booksellers, newspapers, and other resources for the sale of the books.

The work on the book is not done yet. The publisher sends the author two sets of galley proofs. Copy editors have gone over the text and question word usage, historical facts, and grammar, punctuation, and spelling. The author has to make corrections as needed. Divided Loyalties went through three galleys.

The author suggests possible illustrations to the artist. Later the author gets imput on the artist's final sketches. Then the artist hires a model and paints a picture. Once the cover is done, the author has to proof read it.

All this takes time. My books have averaged about two years from acceptance to publication. I have heard that the industry average is two to four years.

So when the book finally appears, as Divided Loyalties, did last week, it is the end of a very long, work-filled process.

However, that is not the end of the author's work for the book. I'll leave that story to another time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?