Monday, September 26, 2005

 

Book Recommendations

Within a matter of weeks, two different people recommended From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg to me. I always try to read books folks recommend although sometimes it takes me a while to read them. With two recommendations in a row, I moved this book to the top of the list. It is a Newbery Award Winner and a children's classic. Usually, kids recommend books to me. However, two adults recommended this book. So the book's appeal is enduring. It is a charming tale of two kids who run away to the Metropolitan Museum in New York City and try to solve a mystery surrounding a scupture attributed to Michelangelo.

The second book I am recommending is The River Between Us by Richard Peck. I had a little trouble following the story when the narrative went from 1916 back to 1861 and the Civil War. But that may have been since I was listening to the book on tape in my car. The story turns around several generations of the Pruitt family and the author gives good insights into the Civil War period and tells a good tale at the same time.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?