Friday, December 09, 2005

 

Cast Two Shadows

I didn't want to read historical fiction about Camden in the Revolutionary War until my book, Divided Loyalties was in print. I have just finished Cast Two Shadows by Ann Rinaldi. I liked the book in that it captured the tensions between Loyalists and Patriots in the South. The book is about more than the Revolutionary War, and I didn't find Ms. Rinaldi's handling of the racial issues always convincing.

Generally, Ms. Rinaldi's books reflect careful research and this book was no exception. However, there were errors. For example, she calls the hats worn in the Revolution tricorn hats. They were called cocked hats during the times. I only learned this when I was researching my book. Our modern designation is tricorn. I struggle hard to get all the details correct, and I know it isn't easy.

Kids, you always need to do your research CAREFULLY since there is always someone out there who knows lots and lots about whatever subject you are writing about.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?