Monday, February 06, 2006

 

Nude Tree Walk

Saturday I went on a Nude Tree Walk. The trees are nude at this time of year, not the walkers. A biology professor at the College of William and Mary, Stewart Ware, taught about 35 tree enthusiasts how to indentify trees in winter. We learned how by looking at things like terminal buds, bundle scars, and bud scale scars we can identify different kinds of trees.

One of my life goals is to learn more about trees. Since I grew up in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State, one might think that I would be an expert on trees. Not so, and I'm not quite sure why.

I keep an eye out for classes on trees, but they are few and far between. As a result, I was delighted to spend two hours on Saturday learning about trees.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?