Friday, September 08, 2006

 

Where do I get the ideas for my books?

Kids often ask where I get ideas for my books. It's probably the most common question asked when I visit schools.

I get my ideas mainly from history. History has the word "story" in it, and I see the past as a great respository of stories, stories about people, our stories. They are our stories since we would not be alive today if our ancestors hadn't survived and thrived during times past.

History is so rich, I have more ideas than time. I do not see history as facts and dates and more facts. Instead I see history as people, not so unlike you and I, facing problems and overcoming difficulties.

Next time you have a history assignment at school ask yourself: Where were my ancestors at the time I'm studying? Did they take part in the events, and if not, why not?

Think about what you are learning in history in terms of stories. Imagine yourself taking part in the conflicts and events of the past. For example, would you have stayed with George Washington to brave the cold and despair at Valley Forge? Or would you have headed home to a warm fireplace, homecooking, and the company of family?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?