Friday, August 14, 2009

 

A Traditional American Bandstand

On my recent trip to New Hampshire, I attended a concert held in a traditional New England bandstand. Many years ago it was common for small towns to have a bandstand, usually in the center of the town for summer concerts.

For more than 20 years, every week in the summer, my friend and former colleague Angela Robinson has arranged free public concerts in the small town of Henniker.

The concerts were so successful that the "town" decided that they needed a bandstand. Angela Robinson was not pleased with the proposed location of the bandstand and complained loudly to everyone in town. Then she found out that it was NOT the town building the bandstand. Her husband was building it in her honor.

So when I visited my friend I planned my visit so that I could attend one of "her" concerts. It was very special.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?