Wednesday, November 11, 2009

 

Journaling Workshop at Crittenden Middle School


Journaling requires careful observation of the world. I challenged students at Crittenden to watch five minutes of slides from the Camino de Santiago, an ancient pilgrimage route in Spain, and describe what they saw.

Students were eager to share what they saw.
This was the easy part. I next asked students to relate what they saw to something in their lives, promising to publish the "gems" I found on my website. As I look over what the students have written I'm impressed.
Remember students had only minutes to write these thoughts. They are not finished prose, but reactions to the slides. Also keep in mind, the students were sixth graders, seventh graders, and eighth graders.
Alex
"The bunk beds in the cabin reminded me of the yearly trip to North Carolina beachfront. The cabin was almost identical to the slide. There was a bunk bed and single bed and swing outside. Conner and Ho were sleeping the bunk bed. I was sleeping in the single. Will slept on the swing. I stayed up all night watching Batman movies. Conner was playing my video game."

Ariel

"The brown dog reminded me of my pet dog Lollipop because he is always laying around."

Chelsea

"The beaches and great views reminded me of when I go to Old Orchard Beach every summer since I was two. When I go there, my family and I would check in at a motel right on the beach with an amusement park 5 minutes away. We always go the park every night unless it is bad weather."
Jermine

"The bus going to New York was stinky. I hope I do not go on that bus again."

Tyler

"The woman holding the red and white quilt reminded me of my warm, soft comfortable cowboy blanket. It was my favorite quilt to sleep and bundle up with. Whenever I go over to my dad's house, I love to sleep on the couch with my blanket."
Jordan

"The dark clouds reminded me of Hurricane Isabel (2005)."

Dymon

"The nice restaurant reminds me about my life because I love to go to fancy and non-fancy restaurants. I love their good food and I love having a good time. When I go to a restaurant I love to eat dessert. My favorite restaurant is Cheese Cake Factory."

Keara
"The religious statue in the slide reminded me of the many statutes my grandmother has in her home. Her friends' mother makes most of them by hand. they are really beautiful."

Ashley H.

"The mountains were evergreen. There was fog slightly around it. I closed my eyes and imagined Arizona mountains. They were so different. Arizona with the craggy rocks, cactus, and snakes versus the evergreen mountains. I missed Arizona and I couldn't wait to go back. So I sat there and admired the mountain. It was green about 1000 mixes. It had flowers of colors I thought I had never seen. But in my head it reminded me of home. I think I could smell the cooking of my aunt and hear the laughs of my cousins playing."

Terrinae

"As the photos were being shown on the projector one really caught my eye, it was the picture with the beautiful green tree. I apply this to my personal life because it mostly reminds me of the way my family sticks together. The way the roots sprout out of the tree represents the way my family was brought up to always stick together whatever the circumstances."

Malcolm

"The slide with the boot reminded me of the song by Genesis "Home by the Sea." That particular slide also reminded me of Hampton University."
Ashley W.
"The blue sea reminds me of when I am sitting on the beach with my family, watching colorful fireworks beating down on the ocean after sunset on the Fourth of July. I feel comfortable and the fireworks are just beautiful."

Ricky
"It reminded me of my large beautiful dog. One morning I found him lying in the kitchen on the concrete floor lying next to his food bowl with a foul smell of dog food. I wondered why he was lying there so I looked around the dirty floor an found the bag of dog food all over the floor. Then I heard a noise. He was still awake, eating his dog food."

Lonnie

"The bunk beds reminded me of my room because I own a bunk bed. The dirty path reminded me of my backyard because it is useless thing and dirty things are everywhere. "

Kahil
"The mountains looked like a picture I drew in my notebook. I felt like I was climbing a really steep mountain. It was a huge blizzard and I was about to break a record for the quickest time for climbing a huge mountain. The snow tasted like vanilla ice cream."

Candace

"A dead dog reminded me of my grandmother's dog because I grew up with him and he meant a lot to me. His name was Bubbles. The dog in the picture was brown, black and big. So was Bubbles."
Felonna


"This is a picture I can relate to. It is a statute on a building and it is silver. In New York there is one building that looks like it."

Kalika

"When I saw grass covered mountains that reminded me of my view of my room in Colorado. When I was depressed I would look at the mountains which made me feel better."

Austin

"The bus looked like [one from] the Martin Luther King boycott."

Cantrell

"I have a beautiful golden retriever that is very lazy, so she sleeps a lot in and outside."

Jarred

"The rugged hard road with many bumps and cracks, with many big rocks also with lots of dirt reminds me of my aunt's rugged road going up to her house."

Naya
"In one of the photos, I saw some kids playing with one another and it immediately brought back memories when I was about that age playing with my friends."

Autumn

"There was a big blue bus, and it relates to my life [in that] my grandma rides the bus to her job at 4:00 am in the morning before the bus even starts running and she works at the shipyard on a boat cleaning the inside."

Simone

"One of the pictures that related to me was the one with the two people hiking and that reminded me of the time me and my grandma hiked last year in Wisconsin."

DeMonte

"I used to watch my little cousins play outside in red jogging suits. When I jumped in, they all ganged up on me."

Raegaon

"The storm reminded [of] my life because I 'd seen a cloud similar to that and I thought a bad or horrible storm would come soon. It was dark gray and large! I was scared."

Jaleel

"I ride a bus to school."

Malik

"I have a bunk bed in my house."

Kalek

"My great granddad has two boats."

LaJavne

"The bus reminded me of the bus trip when I went to Florida where I stayed for 5 years."

Nickierra


The lady up on the stage dancing reminds me of me dancing when I [had] a concert in Mississippi and I had a lot of people looking at me and screaming."

Urique

"The field I saw reminded me about football. I used to play football [and] ran the ball all the way to a touchdown."

Macuayla

"Flowers make me think of my porch."

Kiana

"German shepherds remind me of cops because of K-9 dogs. I like K-9 dogs because they are nice and help people."
Sedesia

"When me and my mom went to Kings Dominion, we rode the city bus."

Tatiyana

"When I get bored, I go out and go hiking in North Carolina. When I go out in deep fields, it feels weird."

Shaine
"The big gray statue of the man attackin a fierce dangerous animal reminds me of the stories my fun, cool cousin told me about when he was in the war."

STAY TUNED, MORE TO COME SOON












Comments:
Wow, those are amazing pieces of observation and writing. Looks like a room full of future journalists.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?